Did You Know – You Can Add Coverage to Your Auto Policy to Cover Uninsured or Underinsured Drivers

Did You Know…

You can add coverage to your auto insurance policy to cover you if you’re in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver.

Getting into a car accident is an incredibly stressful event. And getting into a car accident with an uninsured or underinsured motorist can send your stress levels straight through the roof. While most states require vehicle owners to have automobile liability insurance, many drivers manage to get around the law. But there is coverage that can help protect you in these types of situations.

Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage (often referred to as (UM/UIM) protects you from damages if you’re in an accident caused by an at-fault driver with no liability insurance, or less liability insurance than needed to cover the damages. This coverage also covers hit-and-runs accidents.

Do I need uninsured motorist coverage?

It’s a dangerous world out there. In fact, about one in eight drivers are currently uninsured. Therefore, it’s recommended to purchase uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. In general, this coverage doesn’t add much to your monthly premium but what it provides you in the event you’re in an accident with an uninsured motorist can be life changing.

Are there different types of uninsured motorist coverage?

Yes, there are a few separate but similar types of coverage including:

  • Uninsured motorist (UM) coverage for uninsured motorist bodily injury (UMBI)

This can cover medical expenses, lost wages and other injury-related expenses for you, any permissive drivers and your passengers. It can also provide coverage for injuries suffered in hit-and-run accidents.

  • Underinsured motorist (UIM)

This can pay for injuries much in the same way UMBI does. UIM auto insurance protects you if the at-fault driver doesn’t carry enough insurance and fails to cover all your damages.

  • Uninsured/underinsured motorist property damage coverage (UMPD)

If your vehicle is damaged in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver, this coverage can help. It does not, however, protect against damage caused by hit-and-run collisions.

While uninsured motorist insurance is optional in some states, it is mandatory in others. Regardless, we recommend adding it to your auto insurance policy to help protect yourself, your passengers and your vehicle. To find out what your state’s regulations are and determine if coverage is right for you, contact your insurance agent to discuss the options.

Have questions about your personal or commercial insurance? Contact us to speak with a licensed insurance professional.

Disclaimer: All data, information, and opinions provided on this article, newsletter, or blog is for informational and educational purposes only. While every caution has been taken to provide readers with the most accurate information and honest analysis, please use individual discretion before making any decisions based on the information in this article, newsletter, or blog. Georgetown Insurance Service, Inc. is not responsible if its readers happen to experience loss, injury, or damage resulting from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. This article, newsletter, or blog does not represent the thoughts, intentions, plans, or strategies of any specific Insurance Carrier, Georgetown Insurance Service, Inc. partner or affiliate.
Have questions? Contact Us to speak with a licensed insurance professional.

One thought on “Did You Know – You Can Add Coverage to Your Auto Policy to Cover Uninsured or Underinsured Drivers”

  1. I had no idea that car insurance provides coverage for collision damage. I have a friend who’s interested in owning a vehicle that he could use to drive his kids to school. Perhaps having car insurance can help him feel at ease while driving.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *